Sunday, April 21, 2013

Mistakes of a transitioning runner

So as my previous post about barefoot running stated, the trick of transitioning is to start very slow.
I read all that tips and tricks before I started, but my ego got larger than my head, and I didn't listen.

I did my first two runs in my minimalist shoes more or less like experts suggested.  The first run was on a treadmill, and I ran it at a slower speed than I would normally run, and I only ran about 1/5th as far as I typically would.  ( I ran about .75 miles.) I felt great after the run, but stopped like they suggested in the off chance that the next day I would be sore.  Next day came, and I felt great, no stiffness or soreness.

My next run I ran on the treadmill again, and I upped my run to about a mile and a half.  Again I stopped because I wanted to make sure I didn't overdue it, and the next day I felt great.

Then came my dumb run.  I set out on the streets, and figured I would run, and would turn around when I started to get tired or sore.  I was cruising along my normal route when I started to notice my calves getting tired.  As this point I had hit the halfway mark of my normal run and realized I had about 2 miles to get home.  I jogged at a normal comfortable pace, but the burning in my calves was growing stronger.

When I finally got home I could tell I would be pretty sore, boy was I right.  Next morning I hopped out of bed and nearly landed on my face, my calves were about a sore as I can remember them ever being.  After I walked around a bit and the day rolled along, things got better and by the end of the night I was feeling pretty good.

Today I woke up, thinking nothing of it, and these puppies are so sore that I literally cannot walk.  I live on the 2nd floor, and trying to go down the stairs to walk my dog was probably the most amusing thing my dog has seen in a long time.  the day has worn on, and I am still hobbled, I foresee the rest of my day sitting in my computer chair.

I typically don't mind when I am sore like this, but having some of the nicest weather of the year, and not being able to get out and exercise is twice as annoying.as normal.  So instead of working on my fitness goals for the next day or two, I will be here, sitting in my chair, falling behind schedule.


No comments:

Post a Comment